Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What a happy week!




Dave is safe and home! After 16 weeks apart he finally came home this last Saturday. Of course it had to be late in the afternoon when he was landing so we had all day to try and stay busy. We drove to the base around 4:30 and met in Dave's squadron building. Luckily, they had pizza and cookies for the kids and also a children's movie (The Bee Movie) playing in a nearby room to keep the kids occupied while we waited for the troops to land and shuttle over to the building. Then they finally got off the buses and made their way into the building where we were able to maul him with hugs and kisses. Maren was a little weary of this strange man wanting to hold her and hug her. But she is warming up to him slowly. My grandpa has always said, 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder' and I have to agree. It has truly been a wonderful couple of days spent together - I love, love, love this handsome guy!


We also celebrated Tanner's birthday yesterday. He has turned 3! I can't believe he has grown up so fast. Very stupidly, I scheduled his three year check up on his birthday. So our morning was spent at the doctors office. Dave, meanwhile, was at a dealership buying our new van! We finally have a family car that will fit us properly! I am very excited - I've never had a new car before. But back to Tanner's birthday. We had McDonald's for dinner (Tanner's favorite - gotta love those chicken nuggets) and then opened presents. He absolutely loved opening every present, so much that he would want to immediately open the next present with hardly a glance of what the present was. After they were all opened he then wanted to play with the toys. We then had cake (Tanner chose a yellow cake and I chose the green frosting) and he was able to blow out the fire (candles).

Dave has the next two weeks off! We hope to get in a few fun things in - but mostly just spending time together.

12 comments:

Lacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey said...

I completely forgot about Tanner's birthday. Call me an idiot! Glad you had a good time celebrating. By the way, Jason had an interesting phone conversation with Tanner this morning. The really likes answering your cell phones. lol!

Cami said...

Welcome home Dave! I am glad to see you didn't have to wait any longer Jen. Enjoy your two weeks together, what a nice break. Happy Birthday Tanner!

Aaron said...

Welcome home, Dave. I can't wait to see the family van. Happy Birthday Tanner!

Kathleen said...

welcome home, dave! you were just beaming on sunday and monday! i'm so glad you guys are back together again. did you end up getting tools for tanner??? congrats' on the minivan too!

Walker said...

So glad to see that your hubby is back! I would have to agree with your grandpa about the heart growing fonder, it works that way for me as well. Happy Birthday to Tanner, what a fun day!

Tonia said...

yeah..i'm so glad Dave made it home! Happy Birthday Tanner

Marie said...

Yeah, I was hoping to see a post of this nature when I checked in today. Welcome home Dave and happy birthday Tanner!! I can't believe how big your boys have gotten since we saw them last. Fun news on the van, what kind did you end up getting? Cars are so expensive that it's no wonder some people treat them like/better than babies when they get them. A new one is always fun to get, especially if it's your first. Take care, and we'll talk to you soon!

Amy said...

Welcome home Dave! I can't believe how grown up Hayden and Tanner are getting! Glad that Tanner had a good birthday.

Camie said...

okay why the heck did I not know you had a blog...I am very upset about this late find but very excited at the same time. Hooray!

Albanie said...

I'm so glad that your hubby is home! And happy b-day to tanner! what a cutie! AND congrats on your minivan! Lots of exciting happenings at the Buxton's house!

Jen Hallam said...

Welcome home cuz! I'm so glad you have your hubby home again Jenn. Single parenthood sounds NASTY! You weathered it like a true soldier.