Sunday, November 23, 2008

Don't need no ruby red slippers...

Jenn and I had a fun little get-away to Kansas City last weekend. Some extremely kind neighbors took care of our kids (thank you, Conovers!), which allowed us some rare alone time for a few days (and two nights). Kansas City was great. We wandered through the Nelson-Atkins museum, an amazing collection of art, sculptures, and historic artifacts. Incredibly it was free, except for parking. We spent several hours at a terrific outdoor shopping area called the Country Club Plaza. It was at night, and pretty cold, so a splurge for Starbucks signature hot cocoa was in order. That stuff is soooo good, too bad it's also crazy expensive! The only downside to the shopping area is that so many of the stores close around 7-8pm, and the restaurants there get packed... 1-2 hour waits. We made the mistake of not going earlier in the day for dinner.

We managed to see the latest James Bond movie. I think Daniel Craig suits the character well, he's able to inject a little more physical prowess into the action. I'm pretty sure he could beat up all the other James Bonds. At the same time.

We also made a stop (downtown) to the Hallmark headquarters... you know, they make greeting cards, movies, and they also own Crayola. They have a nifty visitor's center... and hey, it was there, unexpected, and free!

The priority was relaxing and just enjoying ourselves, so while we didn't see a great deal of the city, we did appreciate the experience of being a lone couple again for awhile.


Inside an indoor walkway that runs between a few buildings downtown (that's our hotel towering in background)


View of the city skyline from our room (36th floor)


Some of those 'historic artifacts' I was talking about. I wanted a picture to show the boys. Okay, you got me, I just think armor is cool. Even the horse has armor.


Foreground: Rodin's 'Thinker'. Background: Dave's 'Foxy Lady'.

I mean, could you resist?? The floor is curvy!! Those are actual wood floorboards. It took the artist nearly a year to get them all bent just right.

8 comments:

The Brough Family said...

What a fun little trip. So glad you were able to get away together. Love the, "Dave's Foxy Lady" line. What sweet husband!!

Camie said...

It sounds like the perfect trip. So glad you guys were able to do and. Thanks to those great neighbors. Those trips withouth the kids are always so needed and deserved if I do say so myself.

Marie said...

What a fun trip!! I can't belive that you shop so well Dave - didn't even see a peep of a complaint from you...if only all men could be so accomodating!!! Love the pics - especially the "foxy lady" one ;)

deanna camper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deanna camper said...

Sorry I had a typo...guess I need to proofread :)

I wish I would have known you were coming... we would have loved to see you guys!! If you ever get this way again let us know. I'm glad you got to get away... we're hoping to do that soon! Just need to find someplace to go!

Lacey said...

I really am very jealous! Jason and I soooo need to get away. It has been almost 5 years since we went anywhere overnight without the kiddos. I think we are overdue! :0)

Tonia said...

Looks like so much fun! I need a trip like that soon! Glad you got to spend some time together!

Kathleen said...

that's so great that you were able to "get away" for a bit! time alone is always a good thing. and, i totally agree w/your "bond" commentaries...daniel craig could easily kick some major behind (and he's just a little yummy to look at too!) do you think he could win against the transporter???